( two or one large one)
1/4 lb tasso or 1/4 lb other ham or 1/4 lb
( **If there is no Tasso Recipe here on Recipezaar I will post one-it's worth making)
chopped yellow onion
chopped green bell pepper
fresh ground black pepper
black-eyed peas, rinsed and picked over
2 quarts chicken stock or 2 quarts
low-sodium chicken stock
minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- With a sharp knife score the fat on the ham hocks 1/4-inch deep.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large heavy stockpot over medium high heat.
- Add the tasso and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Add the onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the ham hocks, garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne, and bay leaves.
- Cook, stirring often for 2 minutes.
- Add the black-eyed peas and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer uncovered until the peas are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring often and skimming off any foam that forms.
- Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- Cut the meat from the hock, discarding the skin and bones.
- Return meat to the pot.
- Stir in the parsley.