lean ground beef
green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
garlic cloves, minced
( the more garlic the better so don't skimp!)
( rubbed between fingers to release the flavor)
crushed red pepper flakes
( or adjust to taste)
mild chili powder
4 (1644.27 g) can
( with juice and undrained)
1 (425.24 g) can
salt, to taste
( I use seasoned salt)
2 (850.48 g) can
red kidney beans, with juice
shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot brown the ground beef with onion and green bell pepper until no longer pink; drain all fat.
- Add in garlic, oregano and chili flakes; cook stirring until browned (about 12-15 minutes, for the best flavor the meat must be slightly browned).Add in chili powder and cumin; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add in stewed tomatoes with the juice, tomato sauce and seasoned salt; bring to a boil over medium heat stirring.
- Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 1-1/2 hours stirring occasionally (can simmer longer, the long the better!).
- Stir in the beans with their liquid and continue to cook for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into bowls then top with cheddar cheese and dollup of sour cream if desired.