1 1/2 lbs
mizithra cheese, grated
( or Pecorino Romano)
greek mixed spice
( such as Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasonings)
lemon, juice of
wooden skewers, soaked in water
- Preheat grill or grill pan to high.
- Essentially, you want a thinner, larger flank steak laid the flank steak open,
- Using the mallet pound out the meat evenly.
- Spread the flank steak out so that the grain is running left to right. Begin layering the flank steak with gyro spice mix and the Mizithra cheese.
- Take the flank steak and tightly roll away from you. Evenly insert the skewers every 1 to 2 inches along the seam of the gyro roll this will to hold it together on the grill.
- Cut in between each skewer but not against the skewer; you want the same amount of meat on either side of each skewer, lay them in a sallow pan or dish and squeeze the juice of one lemon and 1/2 cup of olive oil over the meat and let marinate for 1 hour to overnight . Grill the Gyros on each side for about 4 to 6 minutes or until your desired doneness.