garlic cloves, roughly chopped
flat leaf parsley, chopped
red pepper, seeded and chopped
ripe tomato, finely chopped
fresh red chilies, seeded
soft white breadcrumb
lemon juice, freshly squeezed
good quality olive oil
black olives, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prick both the eggplants with a fork a few times and bake on a baking tray for 1 hour.
- Remove the skin, then roughly chop the flesh and place in a colander or sieve to drain any excess moisture.
- Place the eggplant, garlic, parsley, onion, red pepper, tomato, chili, breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper to taste, in a food processor bowl and process until combined but still a little bit coarse.
- With the motor running, add the lemon juice and olive oil alternately, in a steady stream, as if making mayo. The mixture will thicken.
- Transfer to a large bowl, cover and refrigerate for 3 hours to firm the mixture and allow the flavors to infuse.
- To serve spread on a large shallow serving platter, drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and garnish with black olives.