2 1/2 cups
white whole wheat flour
( or mix of whole wheat and all-purpose)
light brown sugar, loosely packed
( or dark brown sugar)
banana, mashed very ripe
( about 2 large very ripe bananas)
nonfat yogurt, vanilla greek
( or any yogurt)
( almond milk, soymilk, cow's milk, rice milk)
1 1/4 cups blueberries, fresh or 1 1/4 cups
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Spray 15 muffin tins with nonstick spray.* Set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the honey and brown sugar together - it will be thick and lumpy. Try to get out as many lumps as you can - a fork works well to break it up. Add the mashed banana, yogurt, and beaten egg. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Gently begin to fold it all together. It will be very thick. Add the milk slowly and continue to gently mix the ingredients together. The milk will thin everything out, but the batter will still remain thick. Gently fold in the blueberries. Do not overmix the batter, which will lend tough, dry muffins.
- Divide the batter between 12 muffin tins. Fill all the way to the top. Bake for 20 minutes until very lightly browned on the edges. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Allow the muffins to cool completely.
- *Note: Do not use cupcake liners; muffins will stick to them.