4 cups cooked chicken breasts or 1 1/2 lbs
cooked chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
cheddar cheese, shredded
monterey jack cheese, shredded
mild green chilies, canned, diced
2 tablespoons pimientos, diced or 1 (2 ounce) jars
evaporated milk, undiluted, divided use
ground black pepper
green chili salsa, for serving
- Cook's notes: Use squeaky-clean bowls and beaters for whipping eggs to their fullest height. Do not over-beat egg whites. If you beat the egg whites until they are stiff but still glossy, they'll fold easily into your souffle mixture.
- Preliminaries: Grease a 12-by-8-by-2" baking dish with butter or margarine. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Procedure: Arrange chicken pieces in prepared pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses, green chilies and pimiento. Sprinkle cheese-chili mixture over chicken, reserving 1/3 cup of mixture for later use.
- Combine 2 tablespoons evaporated milk and flour in a large bowl; gradually add remaining milk stirring until smooth. Add egg yolks, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Gently fold egg whites into milk mixture. Spread over chicken and cheese mixture, smoothing the top. Sprinkle reserved 1/3 cup cheese-chili mixture evenly over top.
- Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Presentation: Serve hot accompanied with green chili salsa.