For the chicken
2 1/2 lbs
boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 lbs
boneless skinless chicken thighs
garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
For the stew base
red wine vinegar
garlic cloves, minced
fresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons
For the stew
1/2 lb penne or 1/2 lb
rotini pasta, par cooked
1 (14 ounce) cans
1 (28 ounce) cans
diced tomatoes with juice
fresh spinach leaves
- Place chicken in large dutch oven or stock pot.
- Pour water into pot and add whole garlic cloves and quartered onion.
- Bring to a boil and cook chicken, covered, turning periodically,for about 15 minutes or until the meat is firm but juicy and has no pink in the middle.
- While the chicken is cooking combine all ingredients for stew base and whisk together until entirely incorporated. Set aside.
- While chicken is cooking par cook the pasta (about 7 minutes) and set aside.
- When the chicken is done turn off the heat and allow to cool, uncovered for about 10 minutes.
- Place a large bowl in the sink with a clean strainer over it. Pour the contents of the pot into the strainer. If you like, transfer the broth into a clean bowl and set aside. Allow the chicken to continue cooling until you can comfortably handle the pieces and then hand pull the breast and thighs.Set the meat aside.
- Place the dutch oven or stockpot on medium heat and add the reserved stew base, chickpeas and diced tomatoes. Cook for about 8 minutes or until the sauce has thickened a bit and the tomatoes have lost their raw taste.
- Add the par cooked pasta to this mixture and cook for about 2 minutes.
- . Add the reserved chicken and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach leaves, cover and cook until just wilted. About 2 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as is in deep bowls with shaved Parmesan or Asiago and a crisp salad.