italian sweet sausage
( I use chuck (80% I think it is)
fresh garlic cloves
2 (28 ounce) cans
( see note above on the brand I use)
2 (6 ounce) cans
2 (8 ounce) cans
2 1/2 cups
3 1/2 teaspoons
2 1/2 teaspoons
( could use white if you want to)
- In a heavy pot, brown sausage and hamburg, breaking it up into smaller pieces.
- Add chopped onions and minced garlic and cook till meat is done; add tomato paste and stir until it is mixed in well.
- Add tomato puree, sauce, and water (when measuring the water, put it into the puree can to rinse it all out and then add to meat mixture).
- Add basil, brown sugar, salt, parsley, and black pepper and mix well.
- Add the Parmesan cheese (yes, to the the sauce) and mix it in well.
- Simmer on low for 2-4 hours stirring occasionally so it won't burn; if you think it needs some thinning down, add about 1/8 cup water at a time; don't add too much because you want it thick so it will stick to your pasta.
- Cook your spaghetti and enjoy! Eat what you want and freeze the rest in containers that will hold the amount you will eat at a sitting.