( for pasta water)
whole milk, divided
shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup dry Italian breadcrumbs or 1 cup
crushed goldfish crackers
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease 2 large casserole dishes.
- Boil a large pot of water and add salt. Add macaroni and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain well and return to pot.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 5 cups of milk in a saucepan.
- Stir in the pepper, parsley, garlic powder, salt and butter.
- Whisk the cornstarch with the remaining 1 cup milk until smooth, then add to the hot milk and cook until slightly thickened.
- Stir in all but 1 cup of the cheese until melted.
- Pour over the pasta in the pot and fold in completely.
- Divide pasta between the casserole dishes, top with reserved cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until cheese melts and casserole is bubbly.