2 (1/4 ounce) envelope
active dry yeast
2 1/4 cups
( 110 deg)
pure maple syrup
whole wheat pastry flour
whole grain all purpose baking flour
( or could sub more whole wheat pastry flour)
unbleached all-purpose flour
( or use white whole wheat flour)
chopped fresh basil
( large chunks)
- Soak millet in 1/2 cup warm water for 20 minutes, set aside.
- In a separate bowl add 1/2 cup warm water and sprinkle yeast inches Add 2 teaspoons of honey and whisk together until combined. Set aside for 10 minutes, or until foamy/frothy.
- In a separate bowl add flours and salt and whisk together. Once yeast is ready, pour yeast into a mixing bowl fitted with dough hook. Add melted butter, 1 1/2 cups warm water, and 3 TB maple syrup. Mix until combined. Then add 3 cups of flour mix. Mix on low speed until smooth. Then add in millet (plus water in bowl), and the rest of the seeds/oats, and basil.
- Mix at low speed until combined. Then add remaining flour until dough is combined and somewhat smooth.
- On a floured surface kneed dough for about 5 minutes until a smooth ball forms.
- Place dough in greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for an hour or so. (I did about 1 1/2 hours).
- When dough has risen, punch it down. T hen divide dough into about 6 or 7 balls. Form balls and place on cookie sheet fitted with a cooking mat(or parchment paper).
- Take your egg white, and add a little water, and brush the tops of the dough balls. Then cover baking sheet with plastic and let dough sit for about another 1 1/2 hours to rise.
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees, and when the dough is ready, bake for about 22-25 minutes, rotating pan halfway through.
- Try not to pass out of excitement due to the most amazing smell that will fill your house!
- Pull out of the oven…and smile!
- (Don’t forget to brush with more butter straight out of the oven!