organic eggplant, cubed
and 1/4 cup organic light tasting extra virgin olive oil, separated
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
organic onion, chopped
organic fresh tomatoes, chopped
( not canned)
organic chickpeas, cooked and rinsed
( or canned)
organic tomato paste
organic parsley, chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the organic eggplant together with 3 tablespoons of the organic light tasting extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Spread in a single layer in a roasting pan and roast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and softened.
- While the eggplant is roasting, heat the 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the organic onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add the organic tomatoes, chickpeas, water, tomato paste & sea salt. Bring to a boil and stir to heat through, 3 to 4 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Place the eggplant in a casserole dish and pour the tomato-onion mixture over it. Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until bubbling through. Remove and serve hot or at room temperature.