1 (460.67 g) box
Betty Crocker super moist white cake mix
1 (301.07 g) container
vanilla cool whip frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and lightly flour two 8-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- Beat cake mix, water, oil and egg whites in a large bowl on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally (batter will be lumpy). Stir in lemon zest until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter evenly into both pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool completely before removing from pans.
- To make the frosting: In a medium bowl, whip Cool Whip Frosting and 1/4 cup lemon curd until lemon curd is thoroughly incorporated. Set aside.
- Once cakes are completely cool (rounded tops trimmed flat if preferred), place one cake on your preferred serving dish. (Tip: Protect the bottom of your cake plate from frosting smears by inserting waxed paper triangles just between the cake and plate). Spread 1/4 cup of the lemon curd evenly atop the first layer. Top with the second layer of cake.
- Frost with lemon frosting. Garnish with twisted lemon slices if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Refrigerate remaining portion.