daikon radish, about 8 inches long
korean chili powder
3 1/2 tablespoons
- Cut the cabbages into quarters lengthwise, then into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Mix the salt into enough water to cover the cut cabbage, and let cabbage soak for 8 to 12 hours.
- Meanwhile, shred or julienne cut the Daikon radish.
- Cut the spring onions into 1 inch lengths.
- Chop the garlic, rough cut, small and large pieces.
- Finely chop the Thai peppers -- use less for less heat.
- Shred the ginger or chop finely.
- Mix all ingredients except the cabbage, cover and refrigerate while cabbage soaks.
- Drain cabbage and rinse well, squeezing out excess water from the cabbage. Rinse it at least 4 times to remove excess salt!
- Mix cabbage very well with other ingredients; you want every piece of cabbage coated.
- Pack tightly into a jar with at least 1 inch of headroom above cabbage.
- Cover loosely and place in a cool area for at least 2 days. Do not refrigerate while the cabbage ferments. After 2 to 5 days, refrigerate and enjoy!