For the Schnitzel
flour, as needed
( for dredging)
eggs, beaten for egg wash with 2 tablespoons cold water
1 1/3 cups
fresh white breadcrumbs
4 (4 ounce)
boneless skinless chicken breast halves, sliced thin & gently pounded to an even 1/4-inch thickness
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
each lemons, juiced
unsalted butter, melted and as needed
( about 6 tablespoons)
For the Salad
coarsely torn romaine lettuce
caesar salad dressing, as needed
( bottled or homemade)
freshly grated parmesan cheese
- The Make the Schnitzel: Place flour, beaten egg wash and fresh bread crumbs into three separate individual shallow containers.
- Season each chicken cutlet with salt and pepper. Dredge each in the flour, egg wash and finally the breadcrumbs.
- In a small shallow dish, mix lemon juice and 4 tablespoons butter; reserve.
- Working in batches, heat additional 2 tablespoons butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Saute 2 cutlets, being careful not to crowd the pan. Cook until the cutlets are brown and carefully turn to cook the other side. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F or approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove schnitzel from skillet and dredge through lemon butter. Repeat with remaining cutlets.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board, let cutlets rest 3 to 4 minutes and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- To Assemble: In a large bowl, toss romaine with Caesar dressing.
- Portion romaine on 4 dinner plates and arrange chicken slices on top of each salad. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Garnish with tomatoes.