beef stew meat
ground black pepper
white pearl onions, see below for peeling instructions
1 (14 ounce) cans
diced tomatoes, any flavor
beef bouillon cubes
red wine, any kind
baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Some notes about the ingredients: I like the tomatoes with seasoning, choose your favorite. Cheap red wine works just fine. Baby carrots work, too - just guesstimate how many would add up to 6 big ones.
- The trick with peeling pearl onions: cut off the stem ends, throw in boiling water for 1.5 minutes, drain and rinse with cold water (or even dunk in ice water). You should be able to squeeze the onion and pop them right out of the peel.
- Real instructions start now:.
- Throw the flour, salt and pepper into a bowl or bag with the beef cubes and coat completely.
- In the dutch oven (or heavy pot) combine the butter and oil, and saute the beef and onions over medium-high heat until beef is browned on outside.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water and bouillon cubes. Add parsley and thyme. Stir in the red wine.
- Cover soup and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add bay leaves, carrots and potatoes. Continue to simmer until potatoes are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.