plain Italian sausage
garlic cloves, minced
dry white wine
fresh plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
( or 28 oz. can imported Italian peeled tomatoes with their juice, passed through a food mill)
fresh ground black pepper
fresh basil leaves, torn into bits
- Remove the sausage from the casings.
- Chop the meat finely.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the sausage meat and the garlic.
- Cook, stirring often, until the pork is lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until most of the wine evaporates.
- Stir in the tomatoes and salt/pepper to taste.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Decrease heat to low.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Stir in the basil just before.
- Serve hot over cooked hot pasta.