frying chicken, cut into 8-10 pieces
( or 16 drumsticks)
7 3/4 cups
extra virgin olive oil
fine sea salt
fresh lemon, cut into thin slices
fine sea salt
( Recipe #488671)
- NOTE: DO NOT SUBSTITUTE My Big Fat Greek Seasoning WITH ANY OTHER SEASONING! PREPARE THE BREADING EXACTLY AS WRITTEN (STEP 1): RINSE and blot chicken; CUT chicken into 8 pieces (or 10 pieces with breast portions cut in half).
- POUR 7 3/4 cups cold water into a large wide saucepan (with an accompanying lid), then add 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons fine sea salt, and slices of 1 thinly sliced lemon; STIR to mix well; ADD chicken pieces; COVER and transfer to refrigerator; MARINATE chicken between 4-36 hours in refrigerator, turning chicken as needed (marinate 36 hours for the most tender, flavorful chicken). NOTE: FOR A QUICKER STOVETOP MARINATION METHOD, PIERCE CHICKEN PIECES WELL WITH A FORK, THEN HEAT THE MARINADE WITH CHICKEN, COVERED, OVER LOW HEAT FOR 20-30 MINUTES (TURN CHICKEN ONCE MIDWAY THROUGH).
- MEASURE the BREADING ingredients into a large sealable container, such as a GLAD food storage container or a Ziploc bag: 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon fine sea salt and 1 tablespoon My Big Fat Greek Seasoning; SEAL the container with mixture; SHAKE well until thoroughly combined.
- REMOVE chicken from marinade with tongs; PLACE one piece chicken at a time into the breading mixture container; SEAL container firmly; SHAKE chicken gently in all motions to thoroughly coat chicken until evenly and generously breaded; PLACE breaded chicken piece onto a rack to rest; REPEAT with remaining pieces chicken; ALLOW breaded chicken to absorb the breading for a few minutes before frying.
- ADD the manufacturer's recommended amount frying oil for deep-frying; PLACE deep-fryer basket into place in deep-fryer; PREHEAT fryer to 315°F (or preheat enough fat to immerse chicken completely in deep heavy stovetop pot between 315°F to 325°F, using a standard deep-fryer thermometer to gauge).
- CAREFULLY drop each piece breaded chicken one at a time, gently into the deep-fryer basket without crowding (if a standard size home fryer is used, add no more than 2-3 pieces at a time); (if stovetop frying, gently place breaded chicken pieces into hot oil using tongs, turning once halfway through frying duration).
- FRY chicken between 16-20 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked, depending on chicken portions/sizes (juices should run clear when chicken is done); FOR SOFT BREADING: Place cooked drained chicken into a large Ziploc bag to steam (the steam will soften the breading). Before serving, reheat chicken if needed, in sealed Ziploc bag in a microwave oven, using the same setting for reheating 1-2 frozen pastries (just before bag will begin to swell from heat and steam). FOR CRISPY BREADING: Place chicken on wire rack over baking sheet. Transfer into a preheated 170°F oven until all chicken has been fried.
- MAINTAIN frying fat temperature for remaining chicken; REPEAT the same cooking/steaming or warming procedures for the remaining chicken.
- SERVE with lemon wedges if desired, for a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.