( can be left out I like it for the creaminess)
carrot, finely diced
onion, finely chopped
( for a richer soup just use a whole 6-oz can)
( smoked for extra zing!)
( just one shake)
( a few shakes)
- Combine everything into a pot, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, loosely cover the pot, and let simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils have completely softened.
- Let the soup cool for about 5-10 minutes (you can also cheat and just pop the pot in the fridge or freezer for a couple minutes while catching up on work and texting, like I did!).
- Pour the soup in a blender to puree it nicely.
- After pureeing, I sometimes like to pop in a can of big white beans like great northern beans, navy beans, cannellini, or butterbeans with a little fresh cilantro if I happen to have any on hand. These are found in piyaz, another delicious meze.
- Garnish with lemon and/or fresh mint, and serve with some delicious pitas, toasty Turkish bread, or sigara bourek!