1 1/2 cups
unbleached all-purpose flour
cold salted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, plus more for pan
salted butter, cut into tablespoons
firmly packed dark brown sugar
grade b pure maple syrup
3 1/2 cups
coarsely chopped pecans
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13x9-inch baking pan. Line the bottom and the 2 short ends with a 20-inch-long piece of aluminum foil, pleating the foil to fit and let the excess foil hang over the ends. Lightly butter the foil.
- To make the shortbread layer: In a medium bowl, mix the flour, butter and sugar with an electric mixer set on low speed just until combined and crumbly. Do not mix into a dough; it should remain crumbly. Press firmly and evenly into the prepared pan. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand on a wire cooling rack. Leave the oven on.
- To make the topping: In a medium saucepan, bring the butter, brown sugar, honey, maple syrup and heavy cream to a boil, stirring until the butter melts. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the pecans. Pour and spread the pecan mixture over the crust.
- Return to the oven and bake until the pecan mixture is bubbling and golden brown around the edges, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire cooling rack.
- Run a dinner knife around the edges of the shortbread to release it. Lift up the foil "handles" and remove the shortbread from the pan. Using a long sharp knife, cut into 24 rectangles.