unbleached all-purpose flour
unsalted butter, softened but still firm
light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- With mixer, beat butter, 1 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla; beat at medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds.
- Place 1/2 cup sugar in shallow bowl.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls, roll in sugar and place about 2 inches apart on baking sheet. (If the dough seems too sticky to handle, ill a medium-sized bowl half way with cold tap water. Before you roll each ball of dough, dip your hands in cold water and dry--this will keep dough cool and help keep it from sticking to your hands.).
- Butter bottom of glass and then dip in sugar.
- Flatten dough balls with glass until about 3/4 inch thick.
- Bake until cookies are golden brown around edges and very lightly colored, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool cookies on baking sheets about 3 minutes and then transfer to wire rack and cool to room temperature.