29.58 ml bacon drippings or 29.58 ml
sausage, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
( 8-9 oz . total wt, mild or hot)
yellow onion, coarsely chopped
green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
garlic cloves, finely chopped
dried thyme, crumbled
whole bay leaves
( preferably fresh)
diced cook chicken
( about equal parts dark and light meat)
diced cooked ham, preferably country ham
uncooked long-grain rice
coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 (411.06 g) can
diced tomatoes with their liquid
salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spritz a 2 1/2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat drippings in a heavy 12-inch skillet over med-high heat for 1-1 1/2 minutes until ripples appear on pan bottom.
- Add sausages and brown, stirring occasionally, 3-5 minutes.
- With slotted spoon, lift to bowl and reserve.
- Decrease heat to medium; add in onion, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves to drippings and cook, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes until limp and lightly browned.
- Return sausages and accumulated juices to skillet; add all remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Transfer to casserole, making sure all rice is covered with liquid, and cover with snug lid or foil tightly smoothed over casserole.
- Slide onto middle oven rack and bake about 45 minutes, flavors marry, and almost all liquid is absorbed; remove and discard bay leaves.
- Dish up at table and serve.