yellow onion, finely chopped
garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 (8 ounce) packages sliced white mushrooms (halve large slices) or 1 (8 ounce) packages
baby bella mushrooms
( halve large slices)
( blend the milk and sour cream together)
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
corn tortillas, softened
3 1/2 cups
diced cooked chicken
1 (16 ounce) jars
1 1/2 cups
coarsely grated mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spritz a 12 x 7 1/2 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat; add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes until limp and golden.
- Add mushrooms, cayenne, and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, 6-8 minutes until mushrooms release their juices and most of these evaporate.
- Blend in flour and cook and stir 1 minute ; add broth, milk mixture, salt, and black pepper and cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes until thickened.
- Cover bottom of baking dish with 4 tortillas, then layer remaining ingredients in dish this way, each time spreading to cover layer below: half diced chicken, one-third mushroom mixture, half salsa, half cheese, then half remaining mushroom mixture, the remaining tortillas, chicken, salsa, cheese, and finish with remaining mushroom mixture.
- Slide onto the middle oven rack and bake uncovered, 30-35 minutes until bubbling and tipped with brown.
- Serve at once with a tartly dressed green salad; or spinach bacon salad.