2 1/2 lbs
ripe yellow tomatoes, cored, quartered
seasoned rice vinegar
finely shredded lime zest
( or 5 kaffir lime leaves)
peeled half-ripe papaya, 1/4 inch dice
( or green )
English cucumber, peeled, 1/4 inch dice
minced red onion
fresh lime juice
minced fresh ginger
( or galangal )
finely chopped mint leaf
finely chopped Thai basil
( or regular basil leaves)
Thai fish sauce
( or Vietnamese, or kosher salt)
- In a food processor, pulse 1/3 of tomatoes at a time until finely chopped. Pour into a bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine vinegar, lime zest, and lemongrass. Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat and stir into tomato mixture.
- Chill about 2 hours to blend flavors.
- Press mixture through a coarse strainer into another bowl and discard contents of strainer.
- Stir remaining ingredients into tomato mixture, adding Sriracha and fish sauce(or salt) to taste. Chill until cold and flavors are blended, at least 30 minutes and as long as overnight.