( or more, if needed)
icy cold water
Optional for Sugar Soup
toasted and chopped peanuts
toasted sesame seeds
- Put flour and water in a bowl and mix with a spoon (since the flour is so fine it doesn't need to be whisked). The texture should not be sticky, add more flour if it is. If too dry, you won't be able to roll them in quarter sized balls (they will break apart). My mother never measured anything, it was always about texture.
- Boil a pot of water (2/3 full).
- Roll the dough in quarter sized balls and drop them into the boiling water (the dough can be rolled into any shape - footballs, worms, squares etc). When they float remove them with a slotted spoon and put into a separate bowl with ice water. Once done, set aside.
- In a smaller pot, add water (1/2 full), add brown sugar and slices of ginger. Allow to boil and then turn down to simmer. Use slotted spoon to pick up all cooked rice balls and drop them into the sugar/ginger soup. Allow balls to soak in soup for 20-30 minutes.
- Pour into bowls and serve. Enjoy!