lean ground meat
1 (8 ounce) packages
frontera red enchilada sauce
salt and pepper
Cornbread Topping homemade gluten-free cornmeal mix from the cornbread bible
- Preheat oven to 425.
- If you have a cast iron skillet, use that! The one I used was 10" across and about 2" deep. Brown meat, seasoning with salt and pepper as desired.
- Add corn, enchilada sauce, sour cream, garlic salt, and anything spicy if you desire, mix well.
- If you don't have a cast iron skillet, then place mixture in a greased casserole dish (or 9 x 13" dish, although I haven't tried it and I'm not sure if that would be too big for the recipe as written).
- Mix together the dry ingredients for the cornbread topping.
- Whisk together egg and milk.
- Add to cornmeal mix and mix well.
- Sprinkle cheese over meat mixture.
- Carefully pour cornbread batter over meat and cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cornbread is done, testing with a knife inserted in the middle and coming out clean, and cornbread is golden brown on top.
- More cheese could be sprinkled on top in the last few minutes of baking if desired.
- Serve with fresh toppings if desired, like shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, onions, olives, jalapenos, etc., sour cream, salsa or hot sauce.