1 1/2 cups
graham cracker crumbs
Creme de Cacao
chocolate curls, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Combine the graham-cracker crumbs with the butter. Form in a 9-inch pan and bake for 10 minutes. Cool.
- Pour 1/2 cup cold water in a saucepan and sprinkle gelatin over it. Add 1/3 cup sugar, salt and egg yolks. Stir to blend. Place over low heat and stir until the gelatin dissolves and the mixture thickens. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir the Cognac and creme de cacao into the mixture. Chill until the mixture starts to mound slightly when nudged with a spoon.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then add the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and beat until peaks are firm. Fold the meringue into the thickened gelatin/egg yolk mixture.
- Whip the cream, then fold into the mixture. Add food coloring if desired. Turn the mixture into the crust, and garnish with chocolate curls. Chill several hours or overnight.