low sodium chicken broth
low sodium soy sauce
red pepper flakes
boneless skinless chicken breast
( cut into 1 inch pieces)
cooked brown rice
- Step by step.
- Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- Blanch (slightly steam) the broccoli. It should still be fairly crisp.
- In a small bowl, prepare the sauce by whisking together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and the water first, then add the chicken broth, garlic, ginger, honey, soy sauce and pepper flakes.
- Adjust the pepper flakes to your taste. I used only 1/2 tablespoon so my kids could eat it.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat.
- In another small bowl, mix the remaining 3 tablespoons of cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- Throw the chicken pieces into the cornstarch mixture and toss to coat.
- Working in batches, brown the chicken in the oil.
- Once all the chicken is browned, put it all back into the skillet.
- Add the broccoli and the sauce.
- Cook over for a few minutes more until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thickened.
- Serve the chicken and broccoli mixture over rice.
- Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds if desired.