1 1/4 cups
bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2 cups
1/2 cup sultanas or 1/2 cup
any dried fruits
1 -2 dash
- In a large saucepan slowly melt butter and add sugar, water, cocoa powder and bicarbonate soda.
- At this stage you may wish to add dried fruits, sultanas and rum.
- Allow to boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add 2 well beaten eggs to saucepan and mix well.
- Add self raising flour and continue to mix until well blended.
- Chopped walnuts can be added at this stage.
- Grease a round or square cake tin.
- Pour mixture into tin and place in a moderate oven (180C regular or 160C degrees fan forced).
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- You can frost the cake with a chocolate frosting or dust with icing sugar.