unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or 1/4 teaspoon allspice or 1/4 teaspoon
( or 1/2 teaspoon salt if using salted butter)
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- While still mixing, add the egg yolk.
- While still mixing, slowly drizzle in the maple syrup.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, spice/s, and salt. You can use whatever combination of spices sounds good to you, or none at all for a pure maple flavor.
- Add butter mixture and mix until just combined. The dough will be in loose clumps.
- Gather the dough in a large ball, cover in plastic wrap and chill dough for at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Line a few baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out half the dough to 1/8-inch thickness and cut into desired shapes. Repeat with remaining dough by pushing the scraps back together and re-rolling them out.
- Arrange cookies on baking sheets and bake for 8 to 11 minutes each, or until lightly golden at the edges.
- Transfer to racks to cool. Cookies will keep in an airtight container for 1 week.