( to taste)
fresh ground black pepper
( to taste)
yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms or 1 cup
white button mushrooms
green bell pepper, thinly sliced
torpedo roll, spit down the center
sharp provolone cheese
- Season steak with salt and black pepper.
- Warm oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add steak, and cook to desired doneness, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare and 5 minutes per side for medium-well.
- Transfer steak to a work surface; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a separate large skillet over med-low heat; add onions, and sprinkle with sugar; cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and peppers; cook 2-3 minutes, or until a few brown spots appear.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and cook another 2-3 minutes; remove from heat.
- Butter interior of rolls with remaining butter.
- Place face down on a large skillet over medium heat and brown until crispy.
- Meanwhile, slice cooked steak on the diagonal.
- Lay 2 cheese slices onto an opened torpedo roll.
- Top cheese with half the steak, then with half the vegetables.
- Repeat for the second sandwich; serve hot.