bone-in english-style short ribs, meat and bones separated
pear, peeled, cored, and chopped coarse
garlic cloves, minced
scallions, sliced thin
minced fresh ginger
low sodium chicken broth
minced fresh cilantro
- Note--To remove the meat from the bones, insert a knife between the rib and meat, staying as close to the bone as possible, and saw the meat off the bone.
- Arrange beef bones in a dish and microwave (in batches if microwave is small) until well browned, 10-15 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Process pear, soy sauce, garlic, scallions, ginger, and vinegar in food processor until smooth, about 1 minute; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir broth and tapioca into slow cooker.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until beef is tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- Transfer short ribs to serving platter and tent loosely with foil.
- Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Remove bones and season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Spoon 1 cup sauce over short ribs and serve with remaining sauce.