( or beef, or pork)
green pepper, chopped
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
diced tomatoes, Southwestern flavored
1 (4 ounce) cans
tomato sauce, Mexican flavored or, Southwest flavored
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
red kidney beans, drained & washed
( or chili beans, or pinto beans)
fresh cilantro, chopped
1 1/2 cups
shredded cheddar cheese
( optional for frito pie)
- Drain and wash beans, set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet and add ground meat, onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Brown meat on medium low until done. Do not drain unless you used a fatty meat.
- Add chili powder and cumin, distributing spices throughout meat mixture.
- Add tomatos, tomato sauce, broth, salt, & optional pepper. Stir well.
- Gently fold in beans and optional cilantro.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat.
- For Frito-Pie: sprinkle cheese over top of chili, cover with lid and allow to rest 5 minutes.
- Chili is ready for bowl, hotdog/burger, or frito-pie.