3 (6 ounce) cans
white tuna in water, drained and flaked
fresh tarragon sprigs, leaves only, chopped
fresh basil leaf, chopped
( about 10 leaves)
fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 cup pitted good-quality black olives or 1/2 cup
green olives, chopped
shallots, finely chopped
lemon, juice of
extra virgin olive oil
- Split the baguette horizontally and cut into 4 pieces.
- Open each piece and slather with butter.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat; add the bread, buttered side down, and toast until deep golden brown, 3-4 minutes.
- Work in 2 batches if the pan is not large enough.
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a bowl, combine the tuna with the herbs, olives, shallots, capers, lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix well and season with pepper to taste.
- Working on a baking sheet, fill the toasted baguette with tuna.
- Cover the mounded tuna with 2 slices of Gruyere and place the sammies under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly, 2 minutes.
- Serve hot.