leek, white and light-green parts only
low sodium chicken broth
bacon, cut crosswise into strips
1 1/4 cups
dry white wine
parmesan cheese, finely grated, plus more for serving
fresh lemon juice
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a simmer over medium.
- Halve leeks lengthwise; rinse thoroughly. Pat dry; thinly slice.
- Meanwhile, in a large, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium, stirring, until lightly browned but not crisp, 5 minutes. Add leeks; cook, stirring, until softened, 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add rice and cook, stirring, until translucent around edges, 1 minute.
- Add wine and stir until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup broth. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, until broth is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Repeat process, gradually adding broth, until rice is al dente and risotto is creamy (you may not need all the broth), about 35 minutes.
- Stir in peas (if using) after the final addition of broth.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in Parmesan.
- Cover and let stand 2 minutes.
- Season risotto with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.