( Sultanas )
minced crystallized ginger
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add raisins, lemon juice, cinnamon sticks, allspice and ginger.
- Simmer over medium heat about 10 minutes until syrup is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Cut peel and pith from oranges.
- Slice oranges into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Cut rounds into halves or quarters and place in medium bowl.
- Pour cooled raisins and syrup over oranges and stir gently.
- Chill 2 hours or overnight.Serve over ice cream or cake.