vegetable stock cube
salt and pepper
- In a deep pan (suitable to include the sauce and whatever you plan to serve the sauce with), heat the olive oil.
- Finely chop the onion and add the garlic finely chopped, sliced, crushed or a combination and fry until onion is cooked.
- Add the wine and bring to the boil, letting it boil for 30-40 seconds.
- Add the water, stock cube and chives.
- Mix until the stock cube has dissolved then reduce the heat.
- Simmer over a medium low heat for 10-15 minutes so that the liquid reduces by a quarter (approx).
- Season with salt and pepper and reduce the heat further.
- Mix the cornflour with a little cold water and stir into the sauce to thicken it slightly.
- Once the sauce is made, add the meat or veggies that you plan to marinade in it and leave it in there for 5 minutes to absorb the flavour.