sweet potatoes, peeled 1 inch chunks
crystallized ginger, if desired
- Place sweet potatoes in 3 quart saucepan; add enough water to cover.
- Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer covered about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain.
- Shake potatoes in saucepan over very low heat until dry.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, if making same day.
- Mash potatoes, add remaining ingredients EXCEPT the last two--the 1 tablespoon butter and crystallized ginger.
- Beat vigorously until potatoes are fluffy.
- Drop potatoes by 1/2 cupfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets forming 8 mounds. Or spoon into decorating bag using large star tip or ziplock bag with corner cut off and form 8 rosettes. At this point, you either bake OR cover and refrigerate or freeze for later. If freezing, it will need to be thawed in fridge.
- When baking, brush remaining 1 tablespoon butter over rosettes.
- Bake at 425 degrees about 15 to 18 minutes or until hot.
- Sprinkle with ginger, if desired.