pith white parts citrus peel, remove the white part of the citrus fruit after you have zested it
- Remove the colorful zest of the peels with a zester or vegetable peel. Set aside for another use (wonderfully aromatic and flavorful, this zest could overwhelm the flavors of other fruits in your jams and jellies).
- Cut off white parts, finely chop and weigh.
- Maceration: Combine the chopped citrus peel pith with the lemon juice in a medium sized pot. Let stand for 2 hours. Add the water and let stand for another hour.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Strain through a jelly bag or several layers of cheesecloth. The liquid pectin will keep in the refrigerator for a week, or in the freezer for 6 months.