extra-virgin olive oil
red onion, finely chopped
garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons
grated orange zest
large oranges, juice of
boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
( or combo breast and thighs)
2 (8 1/2 ounce) boxes
cornbread mix, such as Jiffy
milk, as needed for the corn bread, per package directions
egg, as needed for the corn bread, per package directions
scallions, thinly sliced
shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium sauce pan over med-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook until tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Season the onions with salt and pepper and stir in the tomato paste and smoked paprika.
- Cook the mixture for 1-2 minutes, then add the Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and chicken stock to the pan.
- Bring everything up to a bubble, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer the sauce until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, place a large cast-iron skillet over med-high heat with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook it until golden brown on all sides, 5-6 minutes.
- When the chicken is golden brown, pour the thickened barbecue sauce into the cast-iron skillet and add the bourbon, but don't stir it inches.
- Remove the pan from the heat and very carefully flame the alcohol by using a match or barbecue lighter.
- Return the pan to the heat and allow the alcohol to cook out of the bourbon; it'll be ready when the flames die away.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and reserve on a heat-safe surface while you prepare the corn bread.
- In a mixing bowl, prepare the corn bread batter according to the package directions.
- Fold the scallions and 1/2 cup cheese into the batter and spoon it evenly over the top of the barbecue chicken.
- Sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheese over the corn bread and transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Bake until the corn bread is golden brown and baked through, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.