KENTUCKY FRIED STEAK
fresh cube steaks
ground saltine crackers
( use food processor)
1 1/2 cups
pre-sifted all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tablespoons
( Recipe #453973)
vegetable oil or
pure peanut oil
3 tablespoons salted butter (bacon, sausage or pork) or 3 tablespoons
( bacon, sausage or pork)
( lowfat or nonfat milk okay)
chicken bouillon powder
( Recipe #453973)
- NOTE: THIS RECIPE REQUIRES 2 1/2 TABLESPOONS OF MY Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat) FOR THE BREADING, PLUS 1 TEASPOON FOR THE GRAVY. (STEP ONE): GRIND 16 saltine crackers in a food processor until crumbly; ADD 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour and 2 1/2 tablespoons prepared Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat); PULSE mixture until it is coarsely powderized; POUR the mixture into a large resealable container or Ziploc bag.
- FILL a large bowl with almost-hot water; SOAK cube steaks in water for a minute or two.
- CUT cube steaks into serving-size portions (steaks will shrink, then puff slightly after frying); PLACE 1 cube steak at a time into the breading mixture container; SEAL container firmly; SHAKE container gently in all motions to thoroughly coat steaks until evenly and generously breaded.
- PLACE breaded cube steaks on a wire rack; BREAD remaining steaks; ALLOW to rest and absorb the breading for a few minutes before frying.
- PREHEAT the manufacturer's recommended amount frying fat in your deep-fryer to 315°F (OR) preheat enough fat to immerse cube steaks completely in deep heavy stovetop pot to 325°F (frying fat will drop to 315 -°F, which you will want to maintain, using a deep-fryer thermometer to gauge).
- PREPARE the CREAM GRAVY: Melt 3 tablespoons salted butter or pork fat over medium low heat in a large saucepan, Stir in 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Cook until bubbly but not browned. Warm 2 cups milk in a microwave oven. Whisk constantly while adding warmed milk to butter/flour roux all at once, until smooth. Raise heat to medium-high then add 1 level teaspoon chicken bouillon powder, 3/4 teaspoon Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat), 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, and 1/8 teaspoon paprika. Whisk constantly until mixture begins to bubble. Reduce heat to medium. Cook until completely thickened and flavors develop, whisking often. Adjust seasonings to taste if desired (thin gravy if needed, with a few teaspoons of milk). Reduce heat to lowest setting. Cover gravy loosely and stir occasionally until served.
- ADD breaded cube steaks one at a time, carefully with tongs into the deep-frying oil without crowding (if a standard size home fryer is used, add no more than 2-3 pieces at a time).
- DEEP-FRY cube steaks about 7 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked, depending on portion/size (when center reaches 145°F when tested with an instant-read thermometer).
- PLACE cube steaks onto absorbent paper to drain.
- SERVE with the cream gravy and enjoy!