1 1/2 lbs
( Recipe #477187)
sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
red chili powder
2 1/2 cups
- Melt butter in a sauce pan.
- Make a roux by browning flour in melted butter.
- Add spices and tomato paste; stir until well blended into roux.
- Add water gradually, stirring constantly.
- Heat until boiling.
- Continue simmering and stirring until desired thickness. Let cool.
- Let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- Let sauce come to room temperature.
- Fry tortillas slightly in oil to soften tortillas.
- Coat the bottom of 11 x 14 pan with the sauce.
- Coat each side of a tortilla with sauce.
- Put carnita meat, cheese, & onion in tortilla, and roll up placing fold side down.
- Continue till you have 8 enchiladas.
- Pour the remainder of the red sauce over enchiladas.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.