Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
1 1/2 cups
garlic cloves, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons
fennel seeds, crushed
2 (15 ounce) cans
14 1/2 ounces
kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
ground red pepper
light sour cream
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
diced tomatoes, drained
fresh oregano, coarsely chopped
- Add 1-2 TBSP oil to pan. Brown sausage with onions and garlic. (If you do not have fresh oregano, add 1-2 tsp dried oregano in this step.).
- Stir in black beans (undrained), broth and crushed fennel seed. ( I crush seeds with a mortar and pestle or in the spice grinder.).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Stir in tomatoes and oregano and heat thoroughly.
- Combine red pepper and sour cream.
- Top each bowl with a dollop of spiced sour cream.
- Notes- I use low fat/ low sodium beef broth. Fire roasted diced tomatoes or Rotel tomatoes work wonderfully. I add the tomatoes at the end because I find they break down too much otherwise, if you like your tomatoes more broken down add them with the beans.