finely chopped onion
garlic clove, peeled
freshly grated ginger
extra virgin olive oil
uncooked basmati rice
2 1/2 cups
( or chicken broth)
macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
( I saved a few nuts for garnish)
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (the orange is my change) or 1 tablespoon orange zest (the orange is my change) or 1 tablespoon
dried culinary lavender, ground up in spice grinder
( 'Provence' lavender is preferred. Use fresh lavender if you have it.)
freshly grated black pepper
- Finely mince the onion and garlic either by hand or in a food processor.
- Heat the olive oil up in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion, olive oil, ginger and garlic to the sauce pan. Stir for 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Rinse the basmati rice in a fine mesh strainer under cold running water for 1 minute. Drain.
- Stir the drained basmati rice, broth and salt in with the onion mixture.
- Bring to a medium boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and liquid has evaporated.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in the nuts, lemon or orange zest, butter and lavender.
- Cover pan and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and season with freshly grated black pepper.