macaroni noodles, uncooked
chicken, cooked & shreaded
3 (4 ounce) cans
green chilies, drained
monterey jack cheese, corusely grated
cheddar cheese, coursely grated
evaporated milk, canned, undiluted
- 1. Cook macaroni as directed on package, drain well.
- 2. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 3. Butter or spray a shallow 2-quart casserole dish (12x8x2"). You may want to add pats of butter to the bottom of the dish (I use 11).
- 4. In a skillet, saute onion in a little butter or margerine, untill translucent.
- 5. Add shreaded chicken into skillet and mix with onions, take off stove.
- 6. In a large bowl, combine grated cheeses and green chilies with the cooked macaroni, chicken & onion.
- 7. In the small bowl of the electric mixer, combine egg yolks, milk, flour, salt and pepper; mix until well blended. Add to the cheese/chicken mixture and mix together in the large bowl.
- 8. In the large bowl of the electric mixer, add the egg whites and beat on high speed just until stiff peaks form when the beater is slowly raised.
- 9. Using a rubber scraper, gently fold the beaten whites into the cheese mixture.
- 10. Gently pour into the 2-quart casserole dish and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- 11. Remove from oven and arrange sliced tomatoes, overlapping, around the edge of the dish, bake 30 more minutes or until a butter knife is inserted into the center and comes out clean. Garnish with chives, serve hot.