7 g sachet dried yeast or 15 g
vegetable oil, for brushing
- Combine sugar, yeast and 375ml warm water in a bowl and stand in a warm place for 10 minutes or until mixture begins to foam.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl, then add yeast mixture, yoghurt and combine well. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cloth or tea towel and stand for 2 hours.
- Punch dough down, then divide it into 8 portions, place on lightly oiled trays, cover with cloth and stand for another 15 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or frying pan over medium heat and brush with oil. Place one piece of dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a thin 22cm round.
- When skillet is very hot, place dough round into pan and cook for 1 minute or until brown spots appear on the base (it will also bubble a little bit).
- Turn and cook for another minute, then place on a plate and cover with a cloth to keep warm.
- Lightly brush the pan with a little more oil and repeat with the remaining dough rounds.
- Store any leftover flatbreads in an airtight container or freeze.