sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
cremini mushroom, sliced
garlic cloves, minced
favorite marinara sauce
1 (12 ounce) jars
roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained, and finely chopped
fresh ground black pepper
freshly grated parmesan cheese
freshly grated asiago cheese
0.5 (6 ounce) bags
- Sauce-in a large, deep skillet (the author uses a deep flameproof casserole, but I never cook on the stovetop in a casserole pan), heat the oil over med-high heat.
- Cook the sausage meat, breaking up the meat with a spoon, for about 5 minutes, or until no pinkness remains.
- Drain of most of the fat.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the marinara sauce and red peppers, reduced heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the cream, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Taste and adjust for seasonings.
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Oil a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Salt the water, add the pasta, and cook over high heat for 10-11 minutes, OR until al dente; drain well.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cheeses.
- Combine the pasta with the sauce in the pan; add 1 cup of the blended cheeses and arugula leaves, mixing well to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and evenly sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the sauce begins to bubble and the cheese is browned.
- Serve immediately.