additional egg yolk
approximately half-and-half cream
egg white, lightly beaten
( reserved from yolk used above)
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, egg yolk and cream - beat with a fork until well blended.
- Add the liquid mix all at once to the dry ingredients, stirring with a fork to make a soft, slightly sticky dough - add a little more cream if necessary.
- Press into a ball and knead gently on a floured surface about 10 times.
- Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut in to triangles or rounds.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet and brush with egg white then sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 12 - 15 minutes or until golden.
- Now the very best part. Serve them warm with butter, raspberry or strawberry jam and to be really traditional you may also add a dollop of Devonshire cream. Whipping cream is a good substitute.