onion, finely chopped
garlic clove, minced
red lentil, rinsed
4 cups water or 4 cups
( 1/4 inch thick or so)
( chopped, canned or fresh)
cayenne pepper, to taste
salt and pepper
finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Heat oil in heavy pot on medium high heat.
- Saute onion and garlic until softened.
- Stir in lentils, ginger, cumin and coriander with onion/garlic mixture.
- Add lemon slices, stock, tomatoes, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- (you can add salt and pepper later, but it's usually added now).
- Add the water or vegetable stock.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer for about 45 minutes (it may only take 30 minutes) or until lentils are tender.
- If you like your soup thin, add more stock.
- Take the pot off the burner, discard lemon slices, and puree soup in blender or food processor.
- Season if you have not already added the salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with coriander (cilantro leaves).
- Alternatively, you can add the cilantro before you put the soup in the food processor.