mussels, cleaned and beard removed
spring onions, finely chopped
garlic clove, peeled and crushed
white balsamic vinegar
cracked black pepper
finely shredded bacon
finely grated pecorino cheese
chopped flat leaf parsley
( to garnish)
- Place prepared mussels into a large saucepan with 1 cup water. Bring to the boil tossing mussels until the shells open (discard any mussels that do not open). Drain and remove mussells. Take the top shell off the mussels.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan, add spring onions and garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes until tender.
- Stir in tomato paste, water, vinegar and pepper.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of the tomato mixture onto each mussel, sprinkle with bacon and cheese.
- Place under a hot grill and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve garnished with herbs.