bottom round steaks, well trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
( plus more if needed)
( 2 cups)
1 (6 ounce) cans
dry red wine
potato, cut into 2-inch pieces
( about 4 cups)
( about 2 cups)
dried thyme leaves
frozen peas, thawed
- Coat the beef in the flour.
- Heat a few tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the meat, a few pieces at a time, adding more oil as necessary. Transfer to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and coat the onions; transfer to the cooker.
- Pour the wine into the skillet and scrape up any browned bits; add to the cooker.
- Stir in the potatoes, carrots, broth, salt, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7 1/2 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
- Add the peas and heat through.